I'll admit it, I get overwhelmed by my commitments. Recently however (really just the past few days) it's been understandable and quite permissible. This is such a time of transition for me. I think it really started when Joe left for Alaska. It really made me realize that I'm leaving this place. I have been crying at the drop of a hat. I went to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science last week to see Body Worlds (ammmazzzing) with some 7th graders and we watched an IMAX about the Hubble beforehand. Here I am, sitting in a theater filled with children watching astronauts fixing a telescope and tearing up. Something about how small we really are in the overall scheme of things just got to me. It's been downhill since then. School is coming to an end and summer camp is starting. This week I've had to juggle both because orientation has started and I'm the Site Director. This means I've been semi-m.i.a. in both places. I don't really know what's going on with orientation, although I am mostly in charge. It makes me feel guilty and inadequate.
Tonight was the 8th grade graduation and one of my favorites had a fight with his mom and wouldn't even let me congratulate him. Later I saw him walking up Hilltop and he wouldn't let me give him a lift home. Seeing these kids and the sometimes shitty families they have just makes my heart break. I'm getting to exhaustion mode, there's much more to write and even more running through my head. For another time...
That's sad (the bit about your favorite) Working with kids can be so sad sometimes. I miss them.
ReplyDelete